Eligible properties in the Lead and Healthy Homes Programs will be tested for Radon.
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that cannot be seen, tasted or smelled. Radioactive metals are broken down in rocks, soil and groundwater and can seep into homes through cracks and gaps in properties. The amount of radon in a property is dependent on weather, soil chemistry and condition of property.
Chronic exposure to radon can cause lung cancer and smokers are at greater risk of developing Radon-induced lung cancer according to the EPA.
Radon test kits are low in cost and available at local hardware stores, from the National Radon Program at Kansas State University or for free at NH Department of Health and Human Services. Service providers to test for radon or to fix the property for radon can be found at the National Radon Proficiency Program or at the National Radon Safety Board.
It is recommended that properties be fixed for radon if levels are greater than 4 picocuries per liter (pCi/L). There are no specific guidelines as to how often properties can be tested for radon, but if living patterns change such as occupants in a lower level, the property can be retested.
More information can be found at the US Environmental Protection Agency, at the American Lung Association, or at the US Housing and Urban Development.